Categories

Men’s club from 1909 brought back to life

By Diana Porumboiu on October 24, 2014

Share

abandoned mens club vlist (10)

We love finding places full of history that lived throughout the years and that are brought back to life. This is the case of an old house that used to be the headquarters of The Harmony Club in Selma, Alabama. This beautiful building was constructed in 1909 by the Jewish Community of Selma. An interesting part of the house, at that time, was the second floor where it was a restaurant at a first sight, but a Men’s Lounge in the back area, where the public was not allowed. During the 30’s it became the Elks Club and from 1960 to 1999 it was forgotten.

 

abandoned mens club vlist (5) abandoned mens club vlist (3)

 

Today The Harmony Club is a work in progress, but is already fascinating. The renovation is undergoing and the man who bought the house in 1999 fell in love with this place, just like we did when we saw the pictures. After ten years of work he is now ready to rent rooms on the second floor and on the third floor, the big ball room is available for movie nights and even parties. The ground floor will soon be home of an Italian restaurant.

 

abandoned mens club vlist (4) abandoned mens club vlist (2)abandoned mens club vlist (8) abandoned mens club vlist (7)

 

Mr. Hurlbut, the owner of the building, furnished the place with pieces he bought at auctions and he describes the design of the house as “neo-Gilded Age steampunk”. He preserved most of the original details and he struggles to keep the original color of the walls.

 

abandoned mens club vlist (17) abandoned mens club vlist (16) abandoned mens club vlist (14)

 

There is not much left to say than take a close look and you will appreciate all the original details and creative use of spaces.

 

abandoned mens club vlist (15) abandoned mens club vlist (13)abandoned mens club vlist (6) abandoned mens club vlist (1) abandoned mens club vlist (11) abandoned mens club vlist (18)

 

Text: Diana Porumboiu

Share