There are many variations on the classic chignon but the messy one is trending right now!
It’s an effortless hairstyle that gives you a stylish, preppy look without worrying about loose strands or lumps. In fact, a “perfect” messy chignon requires unclean, bed-hair.
The key element in obtaining a good mess is texture, that’s why this type of hairstyle works best on wavy, curly hair. Don’t worry if your hair is straight, you can still get the look with the right products.
Another great thing about the messy chignon is its versatility. Whether you prefer it low with a straight middle part or up on the top of your head, you can rock this hairstyle for many different occasions, looking elegant yet still playful.
The Bottega Veneta collection featured a timeless and dreamy chignon made by Redken’s Creative consultant, Guido Palau.
Here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to recreate the look:
1. If your hair is freshly washed, blow dry it with a diffuser to create texture, although this hairstyle looks better on “slept-in” hair.
2. Create a center part and then apply a mattifying powder on the roots.
3. Pull your hair into a low and loose ponytail and secure it with an elastic. Use your fingers to gently massage your scalp to add more volume and create that effortless looseness.
4. If you have fine or thin hair, use a brush to gently tease the ponytail, without making it too messy.
5. Create the wispy chignon by twisting the ponytail into a bun and secure it with bobby pins.
6. Pull little strands in the front part of your hair so it’s not that neat.
7. Finish it off by applying hairspray to secure the look.