The Castle of Mesen is located in a park near the center of Lede, Belgium. It dates back to the 17th century where it served as a home for various lords before a conversion to an industrial site.
The Castle was used as a gin distillery Throughout the 1800s, a tobacco factory, and a sugar refinery. In 1897 the complex was then sold to a religious order who constructed an impressive neo-gothic chapel and turned the entire facility into a boarding school.
Although it was still in use up until the 1960s, a tragic storm of abandonment, looting, and a failed attempt to designate the castle as a monument lead to a decision to demolish the entire castle just a few years ago.
Check out below the most beautiful images of the Lost Castle:
Photographer: Jan Stel
Text: Diana Scorici